Silver Coating or Aluminum Asphalt paint on Rubber Roofs
Silver coating or Aluminum Asphalt paint is used to coat Asphalt based roofs to protect against ultraviolet rays. These roofs are the old Hot Tar roof systems and then also the Modified Bitumen membranes. Both these roof systems are Asphalt based, and the Aluminum Asphalt paint is compatible with it.
The purpose for this paint is to protect the roof against ultraviolets. Aluminum flakes are mixed into an asphalt based solvent, making it reflective, and that is what gives the appearance of silver.
Ceramic or mineral coatings and Aluminum Asphalt Paint serves the same purpose
Some Modified Bitumen Rubber membranes come with ceramic granules embedded and there is no need to paint it with an asphalt paint. When the surface is plain or smooth, then it is vital to coat the roof with a silver coat.
Advantages of Aluminum Asphalt Paint
- A roof that is coated with this paint on a regular basis can almost last indefinitely. This coating reflects the ultraviolets and the roof will not be damaged. As long as this aluminum asphalt paint is maintained on the roof, there is no reason why a modified bitumen rubber roof or a Hot tar roof will ever be replaced.
- Because of its reflectivity, the roof is much cooler. The surface is so cool on a hot sunny day, that you could walk on it barefoot without getting burned.
- Because asphalt or bitumen is an oil based product, it evaporates over time, causing the product to dry, shrink and crack. The combination of being a sealant and lowering the temperatures slows down this process.
- It will triple the life expectancy of a Modified Bitumen Rubber membrane if it was coated with “silver coating” on a regular basis.
Disadvantages of Aluminum Asphalt coatings
- need a new coating every 3 – 5 years
- the surface has to be cleaned and washed every time to paint
- makes it hard to detect leaks
- makes it hard to make proper repairs – the paint has to be removed before a roof repair
- when the building changes ownership, many times people don’t know or forget about the necessary maintenance of a commercial roof
Watch this video about “Silver Coating” or Aluminum Asphalt paint. The video explains what the coating is for and how to determine what type of roof you have.
Rock used to protect roof against Ultraviolet Rays
The old conventional way of protecting an asphalt roof against ultraviolets rays was to add a layer of stone. This was the best type protection at the time instead of aluminum asphalt paint. But there was the added cost of bringing the stone up and also the added weight.
- added cost hauling and spreading the stone
- added weight putting stress on the structure
- debris collected in between the rock and promoted plant growth
- made it difficult to find leaks and make necessary repairs
Partially Aluminum Asphalt Coated Hot Tar Build-up Commercial Roof
Instead of rocks or stone, aluminum asphalt paint is used to protect the commercial roof. In this case, only a partial of the roof was coated. The apparent reason was that the roof was leaking in some areas, and they tried to stop the leaks by painting this asphalt sealant on. Aluminum asphalt sealant should never be used to repair flat roofs or fix leaks. It will neve work.
A new coating of Aluminum Asphalt needed soon
As the image shows, this modified bitumen rubber membrane was coated with aluminum asphalt paint but it’s been overdue for a new coating. Building owners forget or don’t know that this maintenance is needed and a perfectly good roof gets destroyed by ultraviolet rays.
Non-Coated Modified Bitumen Rubber Roof
This roof was destroyed by ultraviolets within 10 years after installation. The membrane had cracks and started to wrinkle. The cost of maintaining a roof is minuscule compared to that of replacing it. The problem is that whoever is in charge or not in charge doesn’t know what they do. It is sad to see so many roofs being destroyed because of inexperienced management.
The next image shows a close up look of what the surface of the non-protected membrane looks like.
Non- Protected Modified Bitumen Rubber roof full of cracks
Note the cracks that have developed in the membrane due to ultraviolet exposure. The membrane not only cracked but dried up and caused shrinkage. When the membrane shrinks, it will put stress on flashing and the rest of the structure.
See the next image how the membrane wrinkled and seams were coming apart.
Modified Bitumen Membrane Wrinkled and Cracked
After prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays, the rubber membrane cracked and dried up. This layer, in turn, caused the membrane to wrinkle. When the membrane wrinkles, it will put stress on the seams and flashing and start separating causing leaks.
Two Modified Bitumen Rubber Roofs next to each other
This an image of to commercial roofs abutting with each other. This one is well maintained and coated with aluminum asphalt paint over the years. This roof was installed 20 years ago and is expected to last another 20 years.
The roof on the right had no protection and installed eight years ago. The membrane already has cracks in it and soon will need to be replaced.
Modified Bitumen Rubber membrane with embedded ceramic granules
The best roofing system is one that’s protected against ultraviolets. EPDM rubber and TPO does not come with protection. Modified Bitumen Torch Down membranes come with ceramic granules embedded. This is the best protection a roof can have. most roofing contractors do not installed the membranes with granules unbeknownst to the owner. They find it easier and less costly to install a modified bitumen membrane with no UV protection.
Embedded Ceramic Granules Protecting the Modified Bitumen Membrane against UltraViolet Rays
This is a close-up shot of what the surface look like of a Modified Bitumen Torch Down Membrane. The ceramic coating is better than Aluminum asphalt in that it is more permanent. The asphalt paint has to be re-applied every 3 – 5 years.
Fully protected with Aluminum Asphalt Paint against UV’s
This is what it looks like when a roof is fully protected against UV rays. This roof is coated with aluminum asphalt paint every 5 years and will last a long time to come.