Flat Roof Installation. Wilton – Greenwich
We specialize in Flat Roof Installation
There are many techniques to install rubber roofs. In Greenwich Connecticut, some people prefer the most expensive roof materials. Every roofer has there own ways. The issue is to make a roof last and never leak. Easier said than done. After installing flat roofs and repairing them for the last 25 years, we have developed a sound technique that can make a roof last 40 years or more.
Choice of Rubber Roof
It is important to choose the best roofing system. There are basically three different flat roof membranes to choose from. Every roofing company will sell up and sell down on what they are comfortable with.
Most roofing companies will push EPDM rubber as the choice for a membrane. The selling point is that there are fewer seams and therefore will have a better chance not to leak. The other point is the appearance. I agree it is pleasing to the eye.
The reason why we don’t prefer EPDM membranes is because of several issues. Watch the short videos on what we mean by EPDM rubber problems.
EPDM Rubber Problems
The issues are:
- Wherever the seams are, the tendency to separate over time and leak.
- The glue that is used to keep the seams together will disintegrate over time by the heat of the sun, causing the roof to fail.
- The weather conditions are not always favorable to install EPDM membranes. Humidity and temperatures play a role in the quality of the installation. A roofing company will install a roof regardless if the conditions are favorable for the material.
- The EPDM rubber does not have ultraviolet protection, therefore will not last that long.
- Most of the time an EPDM roof will fail at the flashing. The adhesives used to adhere the rubber to metal has not stood the test of time. We repair many such roofs.
- If someone would accidentally make a hole or a branch would tear into the roof, not any sealant can be used to make repairs – this happens all the time. Inexperienced handyman and workers are making repairs with tar, which is not compatible with EPDM Rubber.
We recommend Modified Bitumen Torch down membrane as a Flat Roof Membrane for the following reasons:
- Easier to install.
- Can almost install the membrane over any surface including a gravel roofs.
- The membrane comes with Ultraviolet protection in the form of minerals embedded in the material.
- It installs almost in any temperature. 30˚F to 120˚ F is perfectly ok to work with the material.
- The seams are heat welded together. The material melts into each other and therefore can’t separate.
- Any person can make repairs in an emergency by using TAR. It’s compatible with any petroleum products.
- Adhering it to metal flashing has a stronger and better bond than any other material.
- Less preparation to install.
Watch the video how we made a quick installation on a roof in Greenwich of a Modified Bitumen Membrane over a gravel roof. This is not possible to do with an EPDM or TPO roof.
No matter who the roofing company is and the choice of roofing system, it’s the installation technique that will make or break a roof.